Compete in the PIONEER class.
The PIONEER class is recommended for first time technical and community colleges, as well as first time four-year universities. PIONEER class teams must create a complex vehicle and have a deep understanding of electronics, electricity, waterproofing canisters, and other technology.
- Participation in the PIONEER class is open to students in technical and community colleges as well as four-year universities competing for the first time. Note that “first time” is defined as students, instructors/mentors, and institutions who have not participated previously.
- The intention of the PIONEER class is to encourage, support, and sustain technical and community college and university teams participation in the MATE ROV Competition. To that end, the MATE ROV Competition will consider permitting first-time teams to compete in PIONEER a second year before advancing to the EXPLORER class. Teams interested in competing for a second year in the PIONEER class must contact the MATE ROV Competition by December 31, the previous competition year.
- Teams of mixed college/university and high school students are allowed to participate in the PIONEER class provided that the high school students:
- Are enrolled in classes at the college or university
- Do not make up more than 25% of the team
- No students or instructors/mentors have participated in the MATE ROV Competition previously.
Number of Teams
- Only one team per school is permitted
The following are links to all of the information needed regarding mission tasks and specs.
- 2023 Preview Mission Task
- 2023 PIONEER Class Competition Manual (revised 1/17/23)
- 2023 MATE ROV Competition: Product Demo and Specs Briefing
- 2023 PIONEER Class Prop Building Instructions(revised 2/2/2023)
- 2023 PIONEER Class Parts List
- Get a Competitive Edge with Evaluate-Compete! Evaluate-Compete is part of the family of evaluation methodologies designed to strengthen student skills and support academic self-awareness.
- Hear what faculty have to say about this methodology and consider getting involved to give your students that competitive edge!
- MATE 2023 EXPLORER/PIONEER/RANGER Prop Demonstration and Q&A
- PIONEER Fly-through video [Vimeo] [YouTube]
- Company Spec Sheet
- 2023 Corporate Responsibility Score Sheet
- Product Demonstration
- Technical Documentation
- Marketing Display
- Engineering Presentation
- Initial Safety Inspection sheet
- On-Site Safety Inspection sheet
- LASER Safety Inspection sheet
- NRD (Non-ROV Device) Inspection sheet
- 2023 Safety Tutorial